Any competition requires approval from the BJA to run and needs to conform to the standards set out in the Tournament handbook https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/my-judo/competition-organisation/tournament-handbook/ Upon application to the BJA, a tournament licence is issued that confirms that these standards have been met and the event is covered fully by BJA insurance.
The Southern Area Competitions Committee are available to assist with planning of any event and will oversee the running of all Level 3 events within the Area. The calendar section of this website will show all known Area activities, not just competitions, and should be referred to in order to ensure that competitions do not clash with other planned events.
Thought must be given to the entry fee, spectators fee and facilities, any parking costs, ordering of medals, number of officials and referees, first aid provision etc. before an event is registered. The Competitions Committee can provide guidance on all these aspects.
To successfully plan a competition the following sequence should be followed.
1. Check the Southern Area calendar (link) to ensure available dates
2. Refer to the BJA planning calendar https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/my-judo/competition-organisation/calendar-planning/ to check what events are running nationally
3. Contact the Southern Area Competitions Committee to advise of event that is planned and seek support email@example.com
4. Complete BJA competition booking form https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/my-judo/competition-organisation/competition-booking-form/ NB If the vent is a Level 1 event there is no requirement to complete this step
5. Create entry form, ensuring that the participant online payment event is also created
6. Complete a Tournament Licence Application form https://www.britishjudo.org.uk/my-judo/competition-organisation/tournament-license-application-form/ and make payment as required. NB You will need to state who will be Tournament Director, Referee in Charge and Welfare Officer on the application form.
7. Advertise the event
Once the closing date or capacity has been reached, if JudoShiai is being used, the event will need to be created and entries populated into the system.
The get Involved page of this website provides information on Technical Officials, Referees and Volunteers.
Running any event is complex but through the Southern Area Competitions Committee guidance can be provided to ensure that any event runs smoothly and with the best outcome for all those involved.